1908 Gruber House as pictured in 1997
History comes alive at the historic Gruber House, which is a fine example of everyday life at the end of an age of grace and style. Built in 1908, the home reflects the charm of the Victorian era, with furnishings and decor reminiscent of early 1900s.The house was built by St. Paul entrepreneur Frank Gruber, a Bohemian immigrant. The house is built from bricks manufactured at his brick factory. He also operated a hotel, bakery, and a restaurant. The house is modest in size, and was not one of St. Paul's elaborate homes.
The living and dining room furnished with late
1800s and early 1900s furniture.
After renovation was completed in 1996, the house provided the perfect backdrop to display some of Howard County's finest treasures: Beautiful furniture, glassware, china, clothing, toys, and musical instruments. One can almost hear the elegant organ playing, the smell of homemade bread baking, and other sights, sounds and smells which were typical of that period.
The lower level of the Gruber House is home to the Veterans Museum, the Jean Potts Exhibit, a Native American exhibit and a religious exhibit displaying artifacts from Howard County churches which have been closed. All of these exhibits are improved and added to as new material becomes available.